Donnerstag, 14. März 2013

Fascination: The Power of Water




Garret McNamara is a Hawaiian surfer. He is one of the best surfers in the world. And today he made me speechless.

It is said, that he surfed the largest wave of all time which was about 100ft high (30 meters) at the coast of Nazaré, Portugal.

If that’s to be true, then he broke his own world record for the largest wave surfed in 2011 which was also set at the same place.


Water is irresistibly attractive to me. Or maybe not just water itself but the power it has or can get. 

  I can remember playing in the Atlantic Ocean at the age of 13. My mum got me a boogie board and I speeded into the water playing with the waves of about 2.5 – 3.00 meters. For me they were huge! I got slewed round, turning under the water, I didn’t know in which direction to swim so that I reach the water surface. Gosh! It was so much fun!


That might sound strange. But I will never ever forget the feeling I got when I was lying on top of a wave, shooting to the beach and screaming because I was both, frightened and excited.
Even though the wave was only 3 meters high I understood immediately what it could do to me. You have no chance to fight against the pressure of an immense wave breaking directly on top of you.
And that’s what’s so captivating for me. The rough sea. It’s unpredictable. You will never know what will happen if the weather changes. 


I love the sound of the ocean, I love the feeling of the refreshing coldness on my skin, I love admiring the water surface sparkling in the sun, I love watching waves rolling in to the beach and I love waves building up so high that I’m impressed. But it always makes me shudder when I realize that these waves could actually become so enormous that they are able to float cities or even small islands. 


That’s the fascination of the sea, of the ocean, of the water. For me the Ocean is beautiful, but all beauty is fleeting. Think about it …
To finish I would like to give you a quote I really love. Unfortunately it's in German but still I would like to share it :

Wenn man den Sand sägen hört
und das Schlurfen der kleinen Steine
in langen Wellen
soll man aufhören zu sollen
und nichts mehr wollen wollen nur Meer
Nur Meer

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen