Dienstag, 11. Juni 2013

mystery: thigh gap







Well … I’ve always wanted a thigh gap. I’ve always wanted a thigh gap? What the hell IS a thigh gap? That was the questioned I asked my roommate two days ago when she told me about the latest fitness trend which she discovered on instagram. 

A thigh gap is the space between your thighs when you are standing straight up. (I give you guys the German translation so that I can make sure that it’s absolutely clear about what I’m talking: “Oberschenkellücke”)

To tell you the truth, I’ve never even thought about a thigh gap. It’s completely new to me. I didn’t know that it is desirable and the latest must-have for body-conscious young women. But I started to get curious what’s behind this trend and after checking out some tumblr websites on the internet, the thigh gap got my attention.

So I read that the young Englishwoman Alexa Chung, model and Londoner It-girl, is thought to personify the trend. Of course lots of other celebrities follow her example. 

So what should you know about the thigh gap?

It’s an impossible beauty standard. Not everyone can have one. In fact it depends on the natural shape of your body. Women who have child-bearing hips are clearly at an advantage. They have legs that are farther apart from one another, making the thigh gap easier to achieve. 
 
The fact that not everyone can have it creates dangerous problems. For many women, especially young girls, the gap equals thinness which means that they almost starve themselves to get it. It can become an obsession like all other beauty trends. 

I read the story of a 16year-old girl who nearly killed herself because she wanted the thigh gap so badly. She started to plaster her bedroom walls with photos of skinny thighs of celebrities such as Alexa Chung or Cara Delevingne. She used to spend every minute of the day obsessing over the size of her thighs. After some months she felt so weak because she lost so much weight that she had to be taken to hospital. The doctors told her that if she didn’t change her eating habits, she would die in 2 weeks. Can you believe that? Actually I can.

There are so many other shocking stories like this one but that doesn’t stop people from uploading pictures of their way too thin legs showing the thigh gap. It’s driving me crazy! I don’t want to know how many girls or fully grown women suffer each day because of these terrible photos. Why can’t we just stop to create an unhealthy ideal of beauty? It’s dangerous. There are so many beautiful women out there who are afraid to be proud of them because they don’t fit in a size zero. It’s ridiculous! 

Still I want to give you the chance to decide on your own whether you like the trend or not. Take a look at:



read more about the negative aspects:



4 Kommentare:

  1. Woah I have never heard of a tigh gap before, but totally I agree with you - it's just crazy! Why would you stop eating to get a gap between your tights?!?
    No wonder that so many young girls have eating disorders if their role models look like the woman in the picture..

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Just another example of what crap girls can do to like their bodies... Mine just wants to eaaaaat :D

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. What the actual f...?! Some of those girls just look like if they had terrible "O-Füße". It makes me sick just to read this. I mean of course everyone wants to be beautiful but to me it's not beauty if you starve yourself and look like this model with this hole between her thighs. Seriously, she looks insanely unhealthy. WHO on earth would consider this beautiful?!?!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Just came across this excellent post. Good job.

    AntwortenLöschen