Sonntag, 23. Juni 2013

Culture Presentations



On Wednesday and Thursday our culture presentations took place. Every student had to present a topic related to the American or Irish culture. I went to see 12 presentations and I have to say I was surprised. They were awesome!

Although it was a lot of work, I want to say thank you to Frank and Fiona for organizing these two days. It really was worth it! It’s such a great idea to let every student decide on their own which topic they would like to talk about. I love my topic and I got so into it, I even don’t want to stop doing some research and I won’t. It’s just too thrilling for me!

So my personal opinion: It was an amazing project!!

Let me give you now a short review of the presentations I went to see.


USA

1.) Things you might not know about San Francisco and the Bay Area by Marina Margeta
First of all I have to say the design of her presentation was amazing. I couldn’t keep my eyes off the pretty pictures and it really caught my attention. I think she did a great job to shorten such a huge topic. I got a good idea of how this area looks like and of how many counties it consists, what you can find there and why it is so interesting to visit. I liked the way she tried to combine geography with history. If I get the chance to visit this area, I will definitely know what to do!

2.) Two more for Mount Rushmore by Katharina Pelich
I think she did a pretty good job deciding to talk about F.D. Roosevelt and J.B. Johnson. Although I believe it must have been difficult because the history of the U.S. has so many great presidents to offer. I liked that she explained clearly why these two presidents were so important.

3.) Southern Hospitality – The Southern Way of Life by Julia Rauch
Her topic got my attention from the very beginning because it’s kind of a personal report as she has spent a year there herself. But she didn’t get too personal and I think that’s probably the biggest difficulty. But she really did great. After the presentation I truly had the feeling to understand the mentality of these people. Their strong believe in God determines their behavior. 

4.) Monty Roberts: an extraordinary communication by Melanie Wimmer
Well, that was amazing! I have never heard of this man before but now I’m impressed. Even though I’m not into horses, I’m totally in favor of what this man is doing. Her presentation broadened my horizon!!! Awesome! I loved the quotes and his way of thinking. This presentation was clearly my biggest surprise! 

5.) America as a nation of narcissism by Maria Dorner
That’s probably the topic that interests me the most and I think Maria did a really great job. This topic is a huge problem in every society not only in America and I liked the fact that she pointed that out. When she first told me about her topic I decided right away that I would take it for my KGP. I just love it and after her presentation I even loved it more.

6.) Does race still matter in the US by Lisa Ziermann
… oh yes it does! Unfortunately!! I am really interested in this topic and I think it is so important. She prepared it very well and explained the major problems in a great way. It’s something we should never forget about and we have to be aware that race still matters. With presentations like this the topic will stay in the heads of people and that’s something worth striving for! It’s a problem and everyone should deal with it and help to eliminate it.

7.) Ellen DeGeneres by Johanna Schreilechner
Gosh I love Ellen!! She is the best!! I was so happy when I found out that Joey would be talking about her! She is a living legend for me! The presentation was really interesting and also showed an important subject: homosexuality. I love the fact that Ellen is so self-confident and powerful! I would consider her to be the role model of all emancipated strong women in the 21st century!

8.) Sacagawea by Bianca Stadler
We already heard a lot about this woman in one of our CLIs but I think she is so important that I can hear a lot more about her. Bianca did a great job explaining her life and why she is so important for America. 

9.) The Navajo Code Talkers using Language as a Weapon by Laura Rossberg
WOW! Her start was outstanding! It was incredible. She got my attention from the very beginning when she read the short paragraph. I think her presentation was a clear success! I loved the fact that she watched YouTube videos so that she can pronounce the Navajo words. That’s great research and preparation! 

Ireland

10.) Psychiatry in Ireland in the 1950s and 1960s with the case of Hanna Greally by Diana Skof
Actually it’s really sad that I’m not allowed to take an Ireland topic for the KGP. I would choose this one. I’m totally interested in psychiatry more precise about the dark side and how people can take advantage of mentally ill people. It’s cruel but needs to be addressed. Diana was amazing! One of the best presentations I listened to.

11.) Newgrange – a treasure of art by Anita Bhatti
When we had to learn the Irish CLIs, this topic was one of the most fascinating ones for me. So I decided that I want to learn more about it. Her presentation was really informative. She did a great job!

12.) Irish dance by Katharina Luttenberger
I knew absolutely nothing about this presentation and I have to admit I listened to it by chance. But I was surprised. It really was interesting and it turned out that I liked this topic a lot. She really was lucky to get the chance to interview a relative of Fiona who is dancing. That made it really interesting.


So for my KGP I decided on the following 5 topics: 


  • Southern Hospitality – The Southern Way of Life by Julia Rauch
  • Monty Roberts: an extraordinary communication by Melanie Wimmer
  • America as a nation of narcissism by Maria Dorner
  • Does race still matter in the US by Lisa Ziermann
  • Ellen DeGeneres by Johanna Schreilechner


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen