Our task is
to do some research on the EU and find 5 topics that catch our interest and
could be a topic for our academic paper. Well, I spent the last hours looking
for these topics and here is what I came up with:
1. European
law and the way it affects national law systems
Actually,
this is the topic I’m most interested in. I think it is so important for all of
us to understand that the European Law affects us in everyday life. European
Law comes first – meaning that national laws have to step aside. So many people
are not aware of this fact.
2. Preliminary
ruling
I’m pretty
sure that not a lot of you guys will have heard of the Preliminary ruling. In
fact it is a decision of the European Court of Justice on the interpretation of
European Union law, made at the request of a court of a European Union member
state. So it belongs to the legal protection system within the EU. I decided to
take this topic because I am really interested in law. It is also directly
related to the member states and therefore I think it would be good to know
what that is.
3. European
Citizens' Initiative
It is a way
of direct democracy which was introduced along with the treaty of Lisbon. It is
a way for us – you and me – to call directly on the European Commission to
propose a legal act. Of course there are a lot of rules that need to be
followed, but wouldn’t it be good to know about this innovation for all of us?
At least it is a chance for us to interact with the EU.
4. The
founding fathers of the EU
I came up
with this idea because I read about Robert Schuman and his famous “Schuman Plan”
which he worked out in cooperation with Jean Monnet. His plan led to the
creation of the ESCS and therefore he is seen as one of the founding fathers of
the EU. While doing some research on this topic I found even more interesting
people mentioned on the office EU website as being founding fathers. So wouldn’t
it be interesting to know who these great believers in a strong Europe after WW
II were?
5. European
Instrument for Democracy & Human Rights (EIDHR)
To be
honest, I know nothing about this topic. I just puzzled by this topic and
thought it sounded quite interesting. Democracy and Human Rights are major
values of the EU and I think they should not be left unconsidered. They are the
fundamental basis of the Union. So I would like to have a better understanding
in this particular field.

Hey!
AntwortenLöschenI think all of your topics are fairly interesting, especially the first one. Maybe you could describe one or some ways it affects us in detail? 1500 words are not that much and I don't want you to make the same mistake I did last semester: Writing too general and therefore getting a 5. ;)
I also think that the first topic is the most intersting one. I wasn´t aware of the fact that European laws come before national laws and I think it would also be intersting to know how these laws are adopted within the EU.
AntwortenLöschenI have to agrre with the two coments above. Everyone should know how our country is affected by decisions made in the EUropean Parliament. Personally I think that 1500 words will probably just be enough to describe the general process. (Adding some examples would alss be very nice).
AntwortenLöschenHey ;) I really like all of the topics you chose, especially the first and the last one. All of them are not just this everyday topics that everybody already learned about in school. Maybe it would be a good idea to chose a specific law and explain the differences (for the first topic)?
AntwortenLöschenthanks for all your comments and great ideas :) I'm gonna go with the first topic but specify it more clearly!
AntwortenLöschen