Some weeks
ago I found an amazing documentary on YouTube which turned out to have won the
Academy Award in 2005.
The title
is called “Born into Brothels” and it’s about a group of children who were born
in the Red Light District of Sonagachi, Calcutta.
Zana Briski
is the woman who made that outstanding documentary happen. She is a
photographer and wanted to take pictures of prostitutes in Calcutta. Very soon
she found out about the many children living in the Red Light District there
and she decided to get in touch with them. The children liked her immediately and
they became close friends. She started to teach them photography and gave every
child a camera so that they could roam the streets and take pictures of what
seemed interesting for them. In fact it turned out that some of these kids had
a natural talent. The documentary shows also lots of photos taken by the
children and some of them really captured the atmosphere and the way it must be
like to live in the Red Light District.
Of course it also shows the negative lifestyle and the terrible problems these children have to face every day.
Of course it also shows the negative lifestyle and the terrible problems these children have to face every day.
Personal
opinion:
The
documentary covers a topic that is so sad and terrible that I think you should
watch it. Take your time. It’s important.
Watching these kids going through their daily routine is heart-rending and I found myself crying many times. But the thing I admire the most about them is the fact that they are more grown up than many of the people I know. They are so young but still so intelligent.
At one
point I remember a small boy talking about his father. He said that his father
was once a feared and strong man. But when he started to do drugs he became so
thin and absent-minded that no one would take him seriously anymore. Even
though his father seemed to live in a different world and didn’t take care of
his child, the young boy said: “Still, I try to love him.” Think about that
sentence!
Link to documentary:
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen