SUMMARY OF Europe already
has one foot in ‘Japanese’ deflation grave
In the article “Europe already has one foot in ‘Japanese’ deflation
grave” published in
“The Telegraph” on 23 October 2013, Ambrose Evans-Pritchard analyses the
European deflation and debt crisis. (“short and
sweet” start)
According to him, the
current dilemma is, just like in Japan, caused by politician’s policy errors.
Besides harming economically
weak countries (nice phrase) such as Greece and
Spain, this mismanagement (good vocab)
also puts Germany at risk.
Further, Ambrose
Evans-Pritchard states that deflation worsens the crisis, mentioning Italy and
its problem of runaway debt. Through deflation, debts continue to grow, forcing
governments to cut their spending which leads to a high unemployment rate.
However, instead of
encouraging inflation, the ECB
prefers to remain idle (good phrase and vocab “idle”).
The author also proposes
two possible solutions. In his opinion, the best approach would be if the Club
Med (Italy, Spain, and France) starts working together to introduce the
policies needed to ease the situation. The fear of Germany leaving the monetary Union
(Fiona and Melissa told me in “Textkompetenz” that we should try to avoid
nominal phrases so maybe restructure the phrase using a verb – but I actually
like “the fear of leaving”) has
prevented these states to implement this strategy yet. Another resolution to
the problem would be to remain paralysed and wait for another period of global
growth. In Evans-Pritchard’s view, the latter is rather irresponsible and
dangerous. (the whole paragraph is explained in a comprehensible way also for
people with little knowledge of the subject! Great!)
The title already indicates the author’s opinion about deflation being a
severe problem for Europe. (good
concluding sentence!!)
204 WORDS, NOT INCLUDING
TITLE
My Feedback:
While reading
this summary I could not stop saying things like “Wow!” or “That’s amazing!”. I
am really impressed by this summary. We have to consider that this was the
first summary written by the author – at least I think so (by the way I would
love to know who has written this text!). In general, I like the structure a
lot. The person started with a perfect introduction phrase where he/she
mentioned all the necessary details (author’s name, title of the article,
newspaper in which it was published and what the article was about). It gave a
good overview. Then he/she went on giving some basic information about the
problem which made it easy to understand what it is all about. Especially the
third paragraph is very well written and he/she used good vocabulary which made
me feel like the author really understood what the article is all about – not
just on the surface but even the details. (I think the author of this text
might be very interested in economics?) Lastly, I like the way this summery is
brought to an end. With the last sentence he/she indicates the author’s opinion
and once again sums up the article very briefly.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen