With my
second pronunciation diary entry I would like to explain what my strategy was
for passing the pronunciation Part1 of the PC2.
First of
all I made a list of all the words I mispronounced when I got recorded:
the
a
sizes
aluminum
pleasant
this
How to say
prices in English?
Next, I
opened the “Pronunciation Practice Page” and opened various links which seemed
useful for a couple of my mistakes.
1. Working
on the two “th” sounds [θ], [ð]
I opened “Rachel’s
English Page” and listend very carefully to her explaining these two sounds in
one of her videos. It helped me a lot and now I get the difference and
hopefully I will never make this mistake again.
So here’s
the link: http://www.rachelsenglish.com/videos/two-th-%CE%B8-%C3%B0-consonants
I really
like the fact that there is a close-up of her mouth so you can study the
movement of her lips, teeth and tongue. To me that was SO useful.
2. Working
on the difference between the “s” and “z” sound
That was
probably the hardest sound to learn for me. I struggled a lot with the “z”. So
I went to a website called “BBC Learning English”. On a subpage I found very
short clips explaining the different sounds.
Link “s”: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/pron/sounds/con_voiceless_7.shtml
Besides repeating
the example words of these videos, I focused on my two problem words “sizes”
and “pleasant”.
I repeated them like 60 times in order to pronounce them correctly. Well, that’s what it all is about! Practice till you dream of these words (btw that’s what happened to me).But it was well worth it and know I clearly know the difference and the correct pronunciation!
3. Working
on “aluminum”.
I just
listened to the pronunciation on “howjsay.com” and once again pronounced this
word again and again.
4. Working
on the rest
I listened
to the record of the text we had to read for Task 1. I checked the
pronunciation of “the”, “a” and the correct way of saying numbers. Immediately
got that.
5. TED
Actually, a
couple of days ago I discovered a pretty amazing website called TED. You can
watch stunning videos of people giving presentations on numerous interesting topics.
One presentation lasts between 5 to 20 minutes.
It’s perfect to work on your
listening skills because these people are talking in English but with different
accents as they come from the USA, Great Britain, Australia, India, Africa etc.
I love it because the subjects they talk about are just brilliant.
So the
slogan of TED is “Ideas worth spreading” which is just so accurate for the
whole website. I am addicted to these presentations and spend hours watching
them at night. I benefit of getting familiar with various topics (business,
biology, stress management, thinking positive, diseases like turret syndrome
and many many more!!) and of practicing my listening and pronunciation skills.
It’s perfect!!
Besides TED
for English speaking countries, I found TED Paris which means I can use the
same website for French as well. I’m thrilled!! :)
Here are
some of my favorite talks on TED so far:
I got 99
problems … palsy is just one: http://www.ted.com/talks/maysoon_zayid_i_got_99_problems_palsy_is_just_one.html
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen