Freitag, 21. März 2014

CAJ: Simulation Theory

http://www.ibtimes.com/universe-just-futuristic-simulation-who-knows-its-fun-think-about-1555869



We are living in a computer simulation. Are we really living in a computer simulation? How could we possibly be living in a computer simulation? What is a computer simulation? Why do many scientists and even philosophers spend so much time searching for answers to these questions? Let me give you at least the answer to this last question: there is not only a spark of a chance but rather a high probability that we are really living in a simulation right now. 

The topic for my current affairs journal is “The Simulation Theory” and in the upcoming semester I will be dealing with exactly these questions I mentioned above. I do not know if I will be able to answer all of them properly but I am so excited to dig deeper into this subject.

The reason for me to choose this topic is fairly simple. The theory sounds completely crazy and is so against the norms of our understanding of life that I just could not resist it. Sometimes it is important to give yourself the chance to look at something from a different and maybe also outrageous viewpoint. This is the goal I am planning to pursue with the following blog posts throughout the semester.

What is the simulation theory about in just a couple of sentences?

It is based on the idea that the humankind will be able to achieve a highly advanced state of computing power so that we will be able to create our own universe with the help of computer programs. Actually, there are physicists and philosophers who claim that we might be already living in a simulation without the ability to tell the difference. This basically means that we could be already part of an ancestor simulation. There are scientists who are trying to prove this hypothesis by creating their own simulated very small universe. They are not that far from a major breakthrough. 

Nick Bostrom is a supporter of the simulation theory and developed the “Simulation Argument” which I find particularly interesting. In short, he argues that there are three options and one of them has to be true.
1. Humans (or human-like species) become extinct before they achieve simulation-producing technology.
2. Post-human civilizations have only little interest in making or using this technology.
3. We are probably living in a computer simulation.
I will be developing his argument in further posts.

With this basic introduction to my topic I wanted to make sure to give a brief overview of what the simulation theory is all about. I cannot wait to read through numerous articles and papers of scientists and philosophers to find out more about it.

sources:
http://www.ibtimes.com/universe-just-futuristic-simulation-who-knows-its-fun-think-about-1555869
http://aeon.co/magazine/nature-and-cosmos/can-we-tell-if-reality-is-a-computer-simulation/ 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen