Yesterday evening I went to the cinema première of the
movie “couRage”. It’s a short film of about 25 minutes and has been produced by
some young talented people from different countries.
The aim of this film was to show that discrimination
still takes place even in the 21st century and even in our lovely
city Graz.
The people involved in creating this movie reappraised
the past of Issa Fatty, a man from Sierra Leone, who moved to Graz after living
in France and got accused of being a drug dealer just 2 days after his arrival
in our city. Of course he is no drug dealer and never has been one. But our
justice system didn’t believe him so he had to spend 488 (!!!) days innocent in
prison! Imagine that!!
When his lawyer could finally prove to the judge that
his client is an innocent man, Mr. Fatty should get a high compensation because
of the time he spent in prison innocent and because of everything he had lost.
He wasn’t allowed to talk with his family in France (he has a wife there).
Austrian law says that you get 100€ for every single day you spend in prison innocent. Do you want to know how much he got? 38.000 € … That’s less than what is established in law. Unbelievable, isn’t it?!
Austrian law says that you get 100€ for every single day you spend in prison innocent. Do you want to know how much he got? 38.000 € … That’s less than what is established in law. Unbelievable, isn’t it?!
So after this terrible lawsuit he decided that he
would move to London. Because here in Graz you can feel the contempt of the
people towards foreigners especially the ones having a different skin color.
In the end of the movie he said, that in London he is feeling accepted by the society and he found a job in the very first week of arriving there. In Graz he couldn’t get one.
But he said that he would never judge the Austrians of being racist because he believes that in every country there are good and bad people. He has a very strong believe in God and for him that’s where he takes his power from. Revenge for him is not an option. It’s not compatible with his believes.
The whole story took place in 2008 … Well I just would
like you guys to think about it.
Do you stand up if you see someone being
discriminated?
Are you courageous?
Are you really??!!!

Wow, I got so mad while reading your post - I just can't believe that this story really happened, especially here in Graz!!! It's so sad that people still judge others by their skin color or because of their origin...
AntwortenLöschenWhen I was an Au Pair in the States I lived with an American, black family. One day we went to church together and I was the only white person between about 200 black people - and NOT ONE SINGLE person was looking at me in a strange way because I was different - they were all so nice and told me that they were so glad to finally meet me, and that they are happy to see that I'm helping my host family so much with the kids. After reading your post I don't even want to think about what would happen if one black person would walk into a church here in Graz....
I'm really happy somebody responded to this post! To me this topic is so important and I think it should be more popularized, even nowadays!
AntwortenLöschenI think your story is a very good example of showing that people who get discriminated a lot of times arn't bad at all! As you say you felt accepted in that church even though you had been the only white person. I'm so sure if this yould happen the other way round in things would have gone differently! And that's so sad!!
After reading it I simply had to reply! And I totally agree with you, it definitely is a topic which should be made public, thanks for posting about it!
LöschenExactly - that's also the reason why I get so mad when people say things like "all black people are drug dealers", "all Arabs are terrorists" and so on - of course there are black people doing and dealing with drugs, but there are as many white people doing exactly the same!
You got it!! I don't have anything else to add!!you are absolutely right!!! But it's a sad truth that so many people don't get that ..
LöschenTotally agree with you - some people have never and sadly probably will never understand that people are people, no matter where they come from or what skin color they have..
Löschen