Dienstag, 4. Juni 2013

body satisfaction and self-esteem









“Some people like to call me cocky or arrogant, but I just think, ‘How dare you assume I should think less of myself?’ “. When I first read this quote a couple of minutes ago, I was overwhelmed by its honesty and courage. I bet none of you ever thought about it that way? At least I didn’t. We live in a world in which we are forced to become better and reach our limits. We are trained to fail because what we do is never good enough – there will always be anyone better than you. Encouragement has been pushed aside in our vocabulary by a stronger and more negative marked word called “discouragement”. I wonder how on earth anyone could actually believe that sad and depressed people achieve better results than happy and joyful ones. Nonetheless, that’s the story of our lives – isn’t it?

The easiest way to keep somebody under your control is to lower his/her self-esteem in any possible way. The media knows that principle quite well and uses it whenever it gets the chance. Where do I want to go with that? I want to draw a special focus on “body satisfaction”, its relationship to “self-esteem” and why it is so hard love and accept yourself in the 21st century.

Body satisfaction has been defined in various ways, particularly in terms of body cathexis, body image, and weight satisfaction. Body-cathexis reflects how satisfied people are with specific aspects of their bodies, body image reflects how close a person’s actual shape is to their ideal shape, and weight satisfaction reflects how close a person’s actual weight is to their ideal.
One way to define Self-esteem: it is the “level of global regard one has for the self”, or how well a person “prizes, values, approves, or likes” him or herself.

I think the connection between these two terms is quite obvious. Self-esteem mostly depends on body satisfaction because we live in a “body focused” world. You have to have a perfect body to be called beautiful; at least that’s what so many people believe. Skinny is the best. And if you can’t fit the rule, you’re out. 

I don’t know who “invented” the concept of a perfect body and why it became so important to our society. I guess that’s what we like to call “a first world problem”. Can you believe that there are so many people out there avoiding food because they are in a beauty mania, while others suffer because they simply don’t have enough to eat? Well, try to explain to a 4 year old undernourished child in Africa or Asia why you refuse to eat that piece of chocolate and prefer to throw it away. Oh I beg you please, just give it a try and explain it. Gosh, I get so mad when I think of it!!

I don’t want to give you statistics or other stuff. I just want to give you my personal opinion. Nobody will ever reach perfection. We have to accept our body. We can shape it – of course. We can try to stay healthy – well that’s amazing. But we can’t force ourselves to reach unreachable goals. It’s simply not possible. Get that in your mind. Everyone is beautiful. And that’s not just a stupid sentence with no meaning. That’s maybe the honest one in life. We have to accept us. Perfection isn’t objective. It’s a subjective decision you have to make for yourself in order to gain the amount of self-esteem you deserve. And you deserve the highest amount!




3 Kommentare:

  1. Your post is really amazing! And so true. First, we clearly are a success-oriented society, which personally drives me crazy as not everybody has the same method or speed to do things. And second, it is not only the body our society has "control" over but also our attitude. Having a different opinion always seems to be regarded a little ... well different. And different is bad.

    (sorry for spaming!) ^^

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. you're not spaming! happy somebody liked the post!! thanks for your comment (:
      and you're right, it's not only the body - actually it's anything else too.
      I hate the fact that different is always bad. It's NOT!!! People believe that there is a perfect norm they have to fit in. But such a norm doesn't exist. At least, it wouldn't exist, if we didn't let it!!

      Löschen
  2. Then it's ok :D
    Well, yes, I guess people have to start to care less, I guess. think that is the greatest problem. It bugs many people that they can't be themselves...sad but true

    AntwortenLöschen