Montag, 25. November 2013

Pronunciation Diary Part 1



How to start a pronunciation diary?

pronunciation (noun): the way in which a word or language is pronounced (a. the way in which someone speaks a foreign language)

pronounce (verb): 1. to say the sounds of letters or words   2. (formal) to formally state an official opinion or decision 

I decided to read through all the recommended pages giving advice on why pronunciation is so important if you learn a foreign language. I want this first paragraph to be a reminder for myself why I have to focus on pronunciation. Therefore I tried to pick out several points which seemed useful to me and which I want to keep in mind forever. 

1. Pronunciation is the biggest thing that people notice when you are speaking English!


Actually, if you talk to a native speaker in real life, they will immediately notice if your pronunciation is good or bad but they will not be right away aware of your limited vocabulary or grammar mistakes. 

“If your pronunciation is poor, they will think about you as the guy/girl who speaks bad English, and good grammar and vocabulary won’t help you.”

“If you don’t have good pronunciation, you have bad pronunciation. And the consequences of bad pronunciation are tragic. Even if you use correct grammar, people may simply not understand what you want to say.”

2. It is not enough to be able to communicate with your teachers; you have to be able to communicate with foreigners in everyday situations! And they have to be able to understand you easily.




Teachers are used to bad English so they can understand more or less anything their students say. The only true way of finding out if you are capable of communicating in a foreign language is going to a foreign country and speaking with normal people. 

Attention! Furthermore, you have to ask yourself the following two questions:

    Is my English easy to understand?
    Is my English pleasant to listen to?

Pay attention to your accent. If you have a strong foreign accent, people will have difficulties in understanding you. Consequently, they will avoid talking to you.

ð       3. Focus on your foreign accent!

One more thing I would like to add to my list is a point of the general advice for improving pronunciation list which I found quite helpful: 

Have a very specific ‘target’ for improvement for the week.

I want to work on specific aspects of my pronunciation so that I can improve them in a way that leads to my goals. It is clearly easier if I focus only on one aspect each week. It is not possible to change everything at the same time. Step by step! (But still fast ;) )

Big decision: American or British English?

Frankly, I am struggling a lot with this decision but I think I am going to go with American English. Actually, I only have one reason to explain it. I think I am more used to the American accent than to the British one. My favorite TV series are all American ones, most of the bands I listen to are American and in general, I believe that the influence of American English on my life is bigger. Even though I love the British accent, I think it would be very hard to perfect it so that it sounds real and not strange and unnatural. 

Getting familiar with the Pronunciation Practice Pages

I started looking at the pronunciation website called Rachel’s English and I got stuck there. Rachel seems really likeable and I enjoy the way she pronounces words. And I think that is one of the most important aspects when you want to work with a pronunciation page. It is all about the voice so I think I will carry on working on pronunciation with her page.

I got lost in her numerous videos called “Real life”. I watched a couple of them and I really like the idea behind these videos. She shows some everyday conversation situations and explains the pronunciation of different words along with these situations. It is also a great way to get an impression of the American culture which is always a welcoming feature. 

There was one video called “Halloween” which I liked a lot because Rachel had a Halloween party and interviewed all of her friends about their costumes. So the learning effect was incredible because there was music and loud voices in the background and you have to train yourself very hard to understand what the people are saying. It is actually a really great way to work on your listening skills.

Another thing I appreciated on her website were the Ben Franklin exercises. For me they are perfect to work on my pronunciation especially on the stressing of words. I am really bad in finding out the stressed parts of speech so these exercises help a lot. I even had some senses of achievement after watching a couple of the videos where I was able to detect the stressed syllable. 

Future plans

I truly hope that I will have enough time to work my way through a lot of these exercises of course also on the other parts. I want to focus more on my pronunciation because it is really important for being understood and I want to be understood!

1 Kommentar:

  1. Good start Livia!
    I hope you continue with your thorough approach to this important topic.

    AntwortenLöschen